Thursday, August 8, 2013

Active Rest Day



I took a day off from the box today. After what felt like the most intense, nauseating workout yesterday, I decided to give myself a break. I went for a run in the morning with my dogs and then headed out to pick up my cousins for a day trip to the LA Zoo.


We spent a good six hours walking through each exhibit. I watched my cousins run to each exhibit with their outside voices exclaiming their raging enthusiasm as they found each animal in their habitat. It made me happy. Gordo was very good at that game. He found most of the animals before either me or his sister, Ana.


Of course, I was using my active rest day and still working it by picking up the six year old and sitting him on my shoulder to aid in his search (someone say push jerk?).



Gordo's reactions to the Reptile Lair were priceless. Both were asking me to take photos at almost every exhibit...



They even convinced me to jump on the carousel with them.








In a commercial for CrossFit (during the CrossFit games), I heard a quote that stuck with me: "The reward for doing well is the ability to express your fitness in everyday life." I was happy that I was able to throw my cousin up to sit on my shoulder as I aided in his skill of playing "Where's Waldo" with the animals.
By the end of the day, they were complaining about how tired they were. I told them that they had to keep trucking because we only had a short amount of time at the zoo. I was able to push them to keep walking and we were able to see every exhibit at the zoo. They were exhausted by the end of the day.




If anyone wants an idea for an active rest day, I would highly recommend picking up your kids (or someone else's children) and taking them for a day at the zoo (or the Aquarium). I had a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Your a the Best Tia in the world to those kids, I bet! Your Awesome Marlene, good resting day!

    ReplyDelete