Friday, March 15, 2013

Fastest and Youngest

My runners had an amazing, once in a long shot, opportunity to meet (and get autographs from) the elite athletes for the race in which they all will be competing on Sunday. The elite athletes had their last training run this morning in Griffith Park.

I got invited to attend with the runners by the organization we are a part of and jumped at the opportunity. I think I was more excited than the kids were at first.

I immediately got 12 of my team of 35 interested in waking up before the sun (and before school) to drive to Griffith Park where we had a photo op and were filmed by KTLA morning news. The kids had the chance to get autographs from the runners, too.

One quote from my student, "I got to put my arm around last year's LA marathon winner for the photo. If someone got that in a photo, that would make my....universe."  He was talking about Simon Njoroge and although this teenage runner towers over the speed racer, he was mesmerized by this talented man.  It was such a sight to see these "cool" teenagers revert back to the excitement "like a kid in a candy store" when meeting marathon runners.  These guys and gals are their idols.

What a great experience for them. I am just lucky enough to tag along.

See you all out at the ASICS LA Marathon on Sunday! Remember your green (or orange)!


No comments:

Post a Comment