Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My running partners

When I'm working, I often wake up before the sun to go out for a run or a walk with my dogs. I don't wake up that early on vacation. I make it up to the doggies as they bask in the sun and smell every corner of our neighborhood on very long walks or they let their tongues drag to the floor as we're on even the shortest of running courses.

I have three small canines, by accident. Frida, the oldest and original dog that came from an unexpected litter from a family in the Coachella Valley. The family told us she was part chihuahua and wouldn't grow very big. She's thirteen pounds with long hair and long legs. She looks nothing like her siblings.

Lola came along six months later, she's the smallest-part min-pin, part chihuahua. I call her a chin-cher. Canela ( (ka·ne·la means cinnamon in Spanish) is the youngest and most traviesa (troublemaker).
I joke about having so many dogs, saying "I have a house full of bitches" or "I went running with mah bitches".
Most of the walks are about two miles, the runs are between 2-3 miles. Sometimes, I just feel like running so we head for a 5 mile course. That's the longest distance Lola can run. If I know I'm going further out, I'll switch back and drop her off and head back out with Frida and Canela. They don't give up.

They enjoy the runs but sleep the rest of the day afterwards. I wish I could sleep the day away....

I don't cook for them. They eat dog kibble.

No comments:

Post a Comment